Thursday, August 13, 2015

Happy Birthday to A. Monaie Designs - The Company I Never Thought I'd Have

Bonjour my friends!

This week my business turned 2 years old and I'm incredibly happy. I feel extremely blessed to be given this gift. It came at a time in my life when I really didn't know what was going to happen next. So keep reading after the jump because it's story time!

This is the part of the story that no one knows which is sad because this is one of the most important parts.

The fact that I have a business is absolutely insane. If you told me in January 2013, that I would have a business, that I would have a real future, I probably would've laughed at you.

In 2013, I was graduating high school and I had no idea what I'd do next (This was before I knew God). I was tied for second in my graduating class, a member of the National Honor Society, and a babysitter/role model for other children. On top of this I was moving in the middle of my senior year to England.  I had a lot going on yet I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Every time my mother sent me something about a college or a scholarship I didn't want to look, I didn't want to research and I certainly didn't want to talk about it. I couldn't talk about it. The thought of making such a huge decision petrified me.

I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to college but if I didn't go, what would I do? What skills did I have? Something inside me knew I had to go to college. I had been flirting with the idea of some kind of t-shirt company in school and with my love of natural hair I really became inspired to start a business relating to haircare. I started to have so many business ideas that  I decided I would go to school for business/entrepreneurship.

So we're making progress now.


I also really liked accessories and I wanted to buy all of these button earrings I was seeing on Etsy BUT I didn't have any money. I tried my hand at making them and it was an epic, gluey, fail. I was introduced to clay by the internet and my grandmother which really opened my eyes to a medium I hadn't previously considered. I left it alone for awhile to focus on graduation and the like.

 I was feeling good after graduation. I already knew what I'm going to study and the schools I'm going to apply to: great!

 But that summer that aimless feeling started to settle in again. I kept asking myself: What am I doing? Where I am going? All that good stuff. I started to draw again and then I really began creating my first style of pieces. I was so passionate about art again and it felt good just do something that I loved. It's crazy how much my business and myself, as a person, has matured over these past two years. But one piece of advice I will never forget is that I am my brand. As I've grown so has my business and it has been a beautiful process filled with peaks and troughs.

A. Monaie Designs is actually my baby. I love to create and express myself through my creations. I love that if I have a vision or even if I don't, I can still create something beautiful. I truly thank God for this gift because I honestly think it helped to save me. It gave me a way to apply myself and my creativity. It allowed me to take a protected risk that in its worse case scenario would be a learning experience.
Blogger, Aida of EyeDefineMe with her A. Monaie Designs Piece!

It feels like when God gave me this business, He gave me a future, one I really wasn't certain I would have. I love my business and I know it will be something major but that doesn't mean that everything will be easy! Recently, I have been feeling like maybe I'm not supposed to do this, maybe God has something else for me. But every time I have these thoughts, I'm renewed to keep going and to go HARDER. New pathways or opportunities are revealed to me in ways I couldn't even fathom before. 

God has taught me so much through my business, which has also allowed me to teach others as well. I honestly love what I do and even though it's a hard business to break into I know I will. I know that this is from God and I won't stop until He tells me it's time.
Nubian Skin Founder Ade with her A>Monaie Designs

I have to thank my family and friends for really being there for me over these past two years and for all of their prayers, Thank you, Mom, for all your help and support and looooove. Thank you to the Q3/Calvary crew for all of your prayers, love, and support. Thanks to Madonna for teaching me about the hidden beauty of clay. Thanks to Beveryln for being my first model and photographer haha.

All I ask is that you keep praying for me and that you stay willing to listen to me ramble about my ideas lol. I truly appreciate each and every one of you. I will never forget the late nights or the advice or any of the amazing people that I've met on this journey.

What I want to say to anyone reading this is that in high school or even in uni, you still might not know what you want to do (This is me right now, but that's another post ;)). It can be extremely frustrating when it seems like everyone else is moving but you. It's OKAY that you don't know! Even when you think you know, that may CHANGE. Everything in life is fluid except for God and his faithfulness. So before you cry yourself to sleep because you think that you won't be anything, remember Jeremiah 29:11. You have a future, you have a purpose, and you are valuable!

I'm learning so much about value that I want to share this message with the world. Value has inspired my upcoming collection which will be titled, Everyday Queens. We're all Queens, we all have value. Whether we are rich or poor, short or tall, in uni or working. We are all valuable and we are valuable because God loves us. We're not only Queens on Instagram or when we have a face full of makeup or when someone else tells us so....we are queens... every day! And when we realize this and act like we are daughters of the Most High, I promise you will see your life differently.

I'm really excited for this project so make sure you sign up to the A. Monaie Designs mailing list for updates! You can also follow my business on twitter and instagram @amonaiedesigns and our A, Monaie Designs Facebook page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment