Monday, June 29, 2015

S.M.A.R.T. Goal Setting: Fitness Edition

In order to achieve your goals, you have to make clear-cut goals. Ambiguous goals are the worst because you never truly know when you have achieved them. What's even worse is starting a challenge and not knowing what you want after it! When you finish our Gym Vow Challenge, I want you to feel like you have accomplished something and not have wasted 30 days.

When setting fitness goals it is important to figure out what exactly what you want! How much weight you want to lose or muscle mass you want to gain, factors like that will impact your goals.

Before you start setting goals, it is important to figure out where you are now! In terms of fitness:
  • Analyze your current eating and sleeping patterns - Find out when you eat, what you tend to eat, how you feel when you eat in order to determine your relationship with food and to figure out exactly where you need to make changes. 
  • Your weight and measurements 
  • Caloric Intake - Find out your maintenance level to determine what you need to maintain, lose, or gain weight. ACalorieCounter helps with this.
  • Body Fat % - This website helps but be wary it is not the best determine body fat %, the website can only make predictions based on equations. The Navy uses it though so I think it's a good base

So you've figured out where you are, now what's the key to setting legit goals making them ->
S. M.A.R.T

Photo via http://blog.northernhealth.ca/active-living/active-living-every-day-your-way/

Start writing down your goals and then break them down into mini goals to develop an action plan!

A goal without action is useless. Your goals and actions should be in line with the rewards you want to receive check out this website by Bruce Woodcock from Kent University on developing an action plan! Here is the template Bruce Woodcock created:

Now write your own action plan ......

MY OBJECTIVE IS: 
TO ACHIEVE THIS I NEED TO:  
List the steps you need to take. Be detailed and specific (not ‘‘I'll contact some employers’’, but ‘‘Find email addresses of 5 local employers who have marketing departments & contact them"
Date I expect to complete this step by
My reward for completing this step will be
I will tell my plan to:
I will start my action plan on (date):
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3 
Step 4
Step 5
What problems am I likely to face? What will I do to overcome these?



If you're stuck just hit me up on social media (Twitter/IG) @heyamonaie!

No comments:

Post a Comment