Saturday, November 9, 2013

Oil Mix for Box Braids and Senegalese Twists + A Tip to Avoid Breakage

Hey Hey!

Now that I have braids and it is winter time, it's really important that I keep my scalp moisturized! I wanted to share with yall my mix that helps me do that!
My mix is  ALWAYS composed of Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Peppermint Oil. Occasionally I add coconut oil or sweet almond oil! I don't really have exact measurements for anything but for the peppermint oil I only put a few drops because it is very potent.

*If you mix up more of the lighter oils and add a little bit of castor oil your mix will be lighter/less thick. If you add a lot of castor oil, your mix will be thicker, heavier. It depends on what you like but I tend to go half & half for a medium consistency.*

Purpose of main oils:

Castor Oil -

  • Can help thicken hair
  • Can make hair grow faster (maybe)
  • Conditions scalp
Grapeseed Oil - 
  • Does not clog pores
  • Contains ceramides so it helps to strengthen the hair
  • Also since it is light, it can thin out the castor oil
  • Helps keep scalp moisturized 
Peppermint Oil -
  • Stimulates scalp which can help to increase growth
  • Smells really good 
Another random oil I may add

  TIP: Follow the direction of your braids when you a oiling your scalp! For example I have a part to the side, so when I oil my scalp I follow the direction of the braids are laying. I do this so I don't accidentally pull the hair that is starting to frizz out of their parts or the braids! If you follow the direction of the part, it should help to prevent snagging when oiling. Hope that makes sense!


No comments:

Post a Comment