This is a post for all people coming out of a protective style! I just came out of a set of kinky twists after 4 weeks! Keep reading for removal and how to take care of your hair after a protective style!
REMOVING THE STYLE:
- When removing twists/braids try to cut down the bulk some so you have less to take out! Also try to be careful so that you do not accidentally cut your own hair, this goes for those taking out weaves also.
- There will be lots of shed hair and some build up so try to apply oil or conditioner as you go along to get the knots out!
-DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR WITHOUT DETANGLING FIRST OR ELSE IT WILL MATT UP AND BE A TERRIBLE MESS TO TRY TO TAKE DOWN!!!!
- Seriously really detangle and make sure you get all the shed hair out because it will tangle and you will not be a happy camper.
- You can take this time to pre-poo actually. Detangle with conditioner, twist or divide your hair into sections and pop on a baggy
- At this point your hair should be thoroughly detangled and simmering with your pre-poo hehe
- Keep hair in sections as you wash because most likely you didn't detangle as well as you think you did lol blaaah.
- SHAMPOO your hair! I know I didn't wash my hair while I had this style in and most of y'all didn't either so there is a very high chance you have some kind of build up whether it be environmental or from products on your scalp and hair.
-Use a PROTEIN/RECONSTRUCTER TREATMENT - Your hair has just been under a lot of pressure from holding those tracks or heavy braids/twists. The treatment will help give it a boost!
- DEEP CONDITION - Always follow a protein treatment with a moisturizing one!
- Apply leave-ins and a sealant after rinsing
- Give your hair and scalp some time to breathe and wait a little bit to re-install your weaves or extension braids/twists. If you are doing a style with your own hair you don't have to wait.
Labels: protective style, Regimen, Tips